11 Checks for Safe & Reputable Gastric Sleeve Surgery
July 29, 2022 | Sponsored by The Health Store Turkey
If you’re considering travelling abroad for gastric sleeve surgery, it’s imperative to review these simple but very effective checks to ensure that you’re choosing a legitimate, safe provider abroad.
As with all elective surgical procedures, there are known risks and we have seen a significant rise in the number of unlicensed ‘rogue operators’ targeting the Irish public, making the selection process potentially riskier than the surgery itself.
1. Information should not be withheld until after you pay a deposit.
2. Check the company is a registered medical tourism agency in Turkey and the hospital along with the Doctor has a medical tourism license and insurance.
Many companies and individuals are not registered to book or arrange surgeries in Turkey and not all hospitals are licensed to work with foreign patients . This means you cannot expect that the standard of service set by the Turkish Government is being met nor are you covered by Turkish legislation or insurance.
3. Confirm with the booking agent that you will have a translator by your side at all times while at the hospital.
4. Check that the company has local offices you can visit or company employees who can come and visit you in your own country.
This gives reassurance that the company is accessible and will not disappear at short notice. Ask for the nearest office/agent’s location. There should be someone who’s accessible in your country on a permanent basis like our coordinators. It is important for continuity of care and ease of access if required. Ask the agency or hospital to confirm this in advance.
5. Confirm with the booking agent that you will have a translator by your side at all times while at the hospital.
6. Don’t just go with a friend's suggestion. Do your own research.
7. Ask the agent how many surgeries are being carried out daily in the hospital.
8. Ask the hospital what brand of materials are being used.
9. Do not sign anything in Turkish.
Make sure you have your medical surgery notes in English for your GP in Ireland. It is important that your medical records at home are updated, that your doctor understands your test results, surgery notes, aftercare treatment and ongoing requirements.
10. Check that you will have a dedicated dietitian/counsellor who is going to follow up regularly.
At The Health Store Turkey, we have a Facebook Support Group but you also have
access to your dietician and coordinator whenever you need them.
11. Be certain that you will have access to your surgeon before and after returning home.
12. Be wary if you are asked for cash.
It is also important to check if you are paying into a Euro bank account. This ensures
that you are protected by EU banking legislation. Ask for the bank account details
and check that it’s an IBAN that tracks back to an EU bank account.
Remember to ask for an invoice and a receipt on the company’s headed paper with
the company stamp and signature.
About The Health Store Turkey
The company works with a hand-picked team of proven experts in their field and when a
candidate arrives in Turkey, it is only after a full health check is carried out including tests
performed by an Anaesthesiologist, Cardiologist, Radiologist, Chest Specialist, Internal
Diseases Consultant, Operating Surgeon, Psychiatrist and Dietician that, assuming the team agrees, surgery will be approved.
The aftercare team includes a Dietician, Councillor and should the need arise, access to your Surgeon. To ensure long-term success the company also operates its own Client Support Group and offers ongoing one to one advice and support from others who have had similar operations.
Start your Transformation Today
Fill out the form below to chat to one of our team